Browse all Epiphone Guitars
The Epiphone company was established in 1928 in New York City. Named after the companys president Epaminondas Stathopoulo, Epiphone was known in the 20's for a line of highly ornamental banjos. Epiphone started making electric guitars in the 1930's, and are probably best known for its archtops. The C. G. Conn company bought Epiphone in 1953 and moved production to Philadelphia. The Stathopoulo family bought the company back in 1955 but by 1957 the company had been acquired by CMI. CMI started shipping Gibson Epiphones from Kalamazoo in 1959. Norlin purchased CMI in 1969, and arranged the production of Epiphones in Japan and later Korea.